There are many ways to still exercise even if you are suffering from limitations from injury, or lack of motivation. Exercise doesn’t have to be something you dread or get anxious about. Here are a few tips to get you going on increasing your good health, decreasing body fat and disease that are effective, non-intimidating, and fun:
- Think more about time rather than mileage. Many people get caught up on walking distances or running distances. Set out a “time “ goal instead of a distance goal and increase your time every week. For an example, set a goal of walking 3 times a week for 15 minutes and try to increase your time by 10 minutes every week.
- Exercise somewhere you can be easily distracted by the scenery. Louisville has tons and tons of parks with walking paths and gorgeous scenery to inspire you while walking, hiking, biking or jogging.
- If you have an upper body injury , try riding a bike or an activity that is less impactful on your upper body.
- If you have a lower body injury, try swimming, or renting a canoe, or an elliptical machine to burn off extra calories and fat to take the stress off your lower body joints.
- Find a partner. Having someone that holds you accountable and you holding them accountable can do wonders on the those days you don’t feel like getting out of bed or motivate you to go for a walk after a long day at work.
The main thing to remember when getting started is to set weekly goals and to do something you enjoy doing.